Thursday, March 26, 2015

Queen Victoria Night Market

All summer, the Queen Victoria Market has hosted a night market on Wednesdays complete with tons of food and merchandise stalls. Usually I'm the first one in line for any kind of food festival, but somehow I didn't make it over there until yesterday-the last night market of the season. I met my friends Laura, Jasmine, and Genevieve for dinner and it was predictably packed. This is the closest thing to the Minnesota State Fair I think I'll ever witness:

So many options! 

Our first stop was the fried potato on a stick booth. I don't think that's the technical name but that's what it is. I got salt and vinegar, which was amazing. 

These were surprisingly filling and I wanted to eat so much more but was already pretty full and didn't want to skimp on dessert (the most important part of any meal). So, we went straight to Taki's (doughnut) Balls:

The Nutella doughnut balls were about the greatest thing I've ever tasted in my life. 

There was approximately $20 worth of Nutella in this bowl so I didn't feel so bad about paying $10 for it. Can someone educate me on the reason Nutella is literally $200 for a teeny tiny jar?


After our super-healthy dinner, we wandered through some merchandise stalls and found the coolest hats ever:

It seems like every sort of event or festival here is complete with these lights, which I love!  

There was so much to look at and so many food options I wish I hadn't waited until the last night market to go! Now I have to wait until next summer, which is beginning to feel like a longgggg way off. Today was windy and only about 66 degrees. 

That brings me to this observation: yes, it can be a little chilly in the winter here. But I'm talking 60's chilly, not actually cold. PUFFER COATS AND SCARVES ARE NOT NECESSARY. If I had a dollar for every person I saw today sporting sub-zero appropriate winter gear, I would be rich. That's not even the most ridiculous thing I've seen, though. We had one really warm day last weekend, I think it hit about 92 degrees, and while I was sweating it out in a tank top on the tram (aka a sauna when it's hot out) the lady across from me was wearing a fleece zip up and a scarf. A SCARF IN 92 DEGREES. I do not understand this phenomenon. End rant. 

4 comments:

  1. Hahahah I am EXACTLY the person you're talking about all rugged up like it's the Arctic - although I resisted wearing my parka yesterday, I'm wearing it now at home because my apartment is so chilly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHAHA. I finally wore a sweater yesterday but definitely no jacket yet :).

      Delete
  2. Isn't Australia just the best with all the markets? We love all the fun places to explore! www.eatallovertheworld.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!! I don't know how I lived 25 years without having a market near me :).

      Delete

About


Welcome! I started Laura and Peter Down Under in July 2014 when my husband and I moved from the States to Melbourne, Australia for his job. I blog about expat life, our travels, food, and whatever else comes to mind. Follow along on our adventures Down Under!

Follow

Instagram

Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Pageviews

Awards



Powered by Blogger.

Contact

Name

Email *

Message *